Going out or even just trying to eat my lunch with a baby has not been easy. Today I put Jackson down for a nap only to find him up 15 minutes later. I got him back to sleep and made a sandwich only before I could eat the sandwich he was up again. It goes on and on like this and I’m lucky to get anything done let alone go out on a date with my husband.
Going Out After You Have a Baby
I have learn to do things in spurts when going out with a baby. Here is how it usually goes…
- Put baby in a safe place to play (Jackson loves staring at his mobile in his crib,) pull out outfit for night out and put on if possible making sure to put a sweatshirt or robe over the outfit in case of spit up.
- Check on baby who has begun to fuss and change the music on the mobile.
- Go to the bathroom and apply foundation if baby is still quiet do mascara and eye make up.
- Go check on baby. If baby is still content, go back to bathroom and do hair.
- Check on baby again, if baby is fussing pick up baby, and continue to put on jewelry and any other last minute items.
- Feed the baby so that he is not hungry when the sitter arrives.
- Hand baby to sitter, put shoes on, kiss baby goodbye and take off sweatshirt /robe/ vomit poncho and walk out the door.
- Do not look back.
- Get into car and think of the hundreds of things you could have or should have told the sitter.
- Debate calling sitter to say that baby likes his playmat and that you put a storybook out for him.
- Decide not to call.
- Get to the restaurant and start to feel guilty about leaving the baby.
- Have a glass of wine and guilt starts to diminish. Actually, start to feel like 2 real adults out and about. Life feels like it used to.
- Realize you have had two glasses of wine.
- Stop drinking and order dessert.
- Start talking about how cute baby is and all of the things you can’t wait do with him/her.
- Realize it’s 10:30 and that you miss baby.
- Go home immediately.