Over the summer I started working in a new office right around the time that the second season of Orange is the New Black premiered. As I adjusted to life in a cubicle I couldn’t help but think how much office life reminded me of one of my favorite shows.
How Working in an Office is like Orange is the New Black
1. You spend most of your day in a 10 by 10 space, and in entirely too close quarters to your co-workers.
2. When someone leaves everyone is sad and then takes there stuff. In my office people pillage former employees office supplies, at Litchfield when Ms. Claudette leaves everyone is ready to get their hands on her stuff, especially that blanket that Big Boo and Piper fight over.
3. Cliques form via who is in the cubicles near them. At Litchfield it’s based on who is which dorm, at my work it is all about who’s cubicles are near yours and based on what department you are in.
4. The supplies are rationed and limited. In my last office we had a supply room that we could all access; in my new office the sticky notes and paper clips are under lock and key. I feel like I’m gong to commissary just to get a pencil.
5. The state of the facilities is always deteriorating. Litchfield is basically falling apart. At my office sometimes the bathrooms aren’t working and the ac system leaves us feeling like we are working in a morgue.
6. They have the Litchfield chicken we have the Snake. About a month ago a snake was seen in the cubicle adjoining mine. Not sure how true it was but the girls in collections swear they saw it.
7. If you don’t behave your privileges will be taken away. At Litchfield they are always losing privileges, like the track. At my work we’ve lost coffee after 3 and the right to wear perfume or scented lotions.
8.Everyone has something they are pushing. At Litchfield there is someone pushing their religious views and someone selling stuff and other people pushing their opinions around. It’s exactly the same at my office except you also get the people pushing their kids fundraisers.
9. When you leave they throw you a party and say they will keep on touch but you never see anyone once they are on the outside.
10. You always feel like you are doing time.
This post contains affiliate links.