If we are friends on Facebook or you follow me at all on social media, then you might know that I’m a bit of a Taylor Swift fan. What you may not know is that about 20 years ago her family owned a summer home in the town I grew up in and at that time I used to babysit her. She was about 3 years old at the time and all I can say is that she was cute, clever and well behaved. And if I had any clue that she was going to be a mega star, I might not have quit that babysitting job.
So I’ve been following her career since the first time she performed on GMA and my mom called me to ask if I recognized her. On Friday night I watched her captivate an audience of 50,000 fans in Philadelphia as a stop on 1989 World Tour. I had high expectations for the concert and she truly exceeded every one of them.
6 Things to Know About The Taylor Swift 1989 Tour
1. You will be on your feet the entire time. From the moment she walked on stage to Welcome To New York till the last note of Shake it Off you will be singing and dancing your way through the night. There was not a single moment in the show that I wanted to sit down. Even my designated bathroom break song You Are In Love was phenomenal and performed as she played the piano high above the crowd at Lincoln Financial Field.
2. Be prepared for surprises. If you follow Taylor on social media then you know that she has been having guest performers join her on stage throughout the tour. We were treated to Echosmith joining Taylor on stage to sing their hit the Cool Kids
3. In Taylor’s book and mine friends are important. Through out the concert Taylor’s friends famous and not so famous appeared on screen to share their thoughts on life, Taylor and 1989. Taylor talks about friendship during the concert and said that there are 2 requirements to be her friend “you have to like me and you have to want to spend time with me”. Does it really need to be more than that?
4. The fashion is phenomenal. I may have had a crush on the black leather body suit Taylor wore during Bad Blood and the black over the knee boots that she rocked during style. The fashion was true Taylor with lots of crop tops with matching bottoms. I lost track of the number of outfit changes.
5. Taylor Swift is not just for kids. Have you listened to 1989, Taylor has grown a lot since her Love Story days and 1989 is definitely a more mature album. There were lots of kids in the audience and Taylor definitely kept the show kid rated but her music appeals to the masses and there were lots of teens, college age woman, Moms and even some guys in the audience.
6. The audience loves her. When Taylor said “jump” the crowd answered by jumping. When Taylor led a sing-a-long the crowd sang loudly. When Taylor thanked her fans and told them that tonight she is with 50,000 friends the audience roared. When she talked about not always fitting in and told the crowd that “you are not the product of your mistakes”. The crowd roared. Taylor definitely made an audience of 50,000 feel like they were part of her small private tribe of friends.
There was a moment after she sang Blank Space where she talked about her Dad being an Eagles fan and watching the games and now she was performing in their stadium. She looked out at the crowd and seemed shocked and grateful at the incredible support that her hometown gave her. It’s easy to see why fans love Taylor and are loyal to them and I think part of it is because she is true to who she is and loyal to her fans.