It’s my birthday and I’m celebrating in NYC with some friends and I have a few other celebrations planned this month. I must admit I never had much of a problem with aging but this year it just seems a little tougher. I’ve never minded getting older, it’s a luxury that everyone doesn’t have but still the older I get the more it feels like everything is going so fast, and there is still so much I want to do.
However I do have this feeling of being older and wiser. Which then means I need to share some of that wisdom.
Here are 34 things I know at 34.
1. Having kids is harder than Mom made it look.
2. There will come a time when you choose comfort over style.
3. On the inside I still think I’m 25.
4. If the question is do you want a cupcake and your answer isn’t yes, I’m not sure I trust you.
5. There are songs that will always make me unnecessarily excited. Mr. Brightside, American Girl, Sweet Caroline…
6. There will be songs that break your heart and take you right back, no matter how long it’s been.
7. It’s good to go out and get a little crazy once in awhile, especially if you have a sitter.
8. The third bottle of wine is never a good idea.
9. Same goes for anything that happens after the 4th glass of wine.
10. Instead of living your Glory Days you are now sitting around thinking about them.
11. You now go to bed when you used to go out.
12. You really don’t know, until you have kids.
13. My heart like The Grinch’s grows 3 sizes in the same day, every day.
14. My parents are getting older and I don’t like it.
15. You are likely wearing something you will later be embarrassed by, trust me I’ve seen the pictures from my 20’s.
16. Some people will leave your life no matter how hard you try to keep them in it.
17. Some people will come back into your life even if you don’t deserve it. They are the keepers.
18. Have friends who you can say anything to, who will know all the words to the songs you sing, who will know your ugly sides and still love you.
19. You can never have too many friends. (Thanks Dad)
20. Be generous and giving whenever possible.
21. Your child can make you smile, laugh, cry and scream all in the same 5 minutes. And it’s totally normal.
22. There is no such thing as taking too many pictures.
23. The name on your purse or the size of your diamond, should only matter to you. They aren’t things to judge relationships or status.
24. You will change your mind so many times that you will forget what you originally thought you wanted.
25. Life is better with the imperfections.
26. The only people worth your time are those that make you feel good about yourself.
27. See live music as often as you can, and sing-a-long as loudly as possible.
28. Marriage is hard, parenthood is harder.
29. Hard doesn’t always mean bad.
30. My parents were right about a lot of things. I’m sorry I didn’t know it at 16.
31. Cherish your alone time.
32. Your siblings getting older makes you feel older.
33. You never feel like an adult.
34. I’m much more comfortable with who I am in my 30’s than I ever was in my 20’s. I know my style, I know what I like, I’m OK with what I don’t, and I’m not trying to be anyone but me. I’m enough.