I’m going to let you in on my secret for buying gifts for grandparents, particularly grandmothers, the secret is to find out what they like but won’t buy for themselves. This is fairly easy to figure out. Peruse a magazine with them, wander around a store, or just look around their house. Is the tea kettle they use everyday beat up? Are they always saying they plan to buy something but never do? Once you notice these things then it becomes easier to buy gifts for them.
Grandparents these days are more active and tend to have lives outside of being grandparents. So while traditional gifts like photos of grandkids or coffee mugs are always great, I’ve put together some non-traditional gifts around somethings that grandmothers might not treat themselves too.
Non-Traditional Gifts for Grandmothers
For the Grandmother who is the Family Chef:
- Make it easier for her to read recipes, even if she still uses cookbooks.
- Put together a collection of her recipes with a family cookbook.
- Always entertaining? This has been on my list for awhile.
- I just got one of these and it made a huge difference will all the Thanksgiving prep.
For the Grandmother who Gardens:
- This necklace is pretty and just the right bit of flowers.
- Make her garden a little bit more magical.
- Let her garden year round.
- This gift is for the birds but pretty beautiful too.
For the Grandmother who Loves to Read:
- Help her get wrapped up in a classic.
- A great book always pairs well with a cup of tea.
- Let her write her own story.
- For her regular visits to the library.
For the Grandmother who Travels:
- A stylish carry-on.
- A way to track her travels.
- Carry-on cocktails, why not?
- For those long flights.
A few other ideas:
- A necklace to say “thank you”.
- For the cat-lover.
- For the crafter.
- If she’s always cold.
- Way cooler than her bike basket.
Traditional Grandmother gifts:
- Photo frames for pictures of their grandkids I like this one, this one, and this photo book.
- Cute pillow.
- Personalized grandkids print with frame.
- Flower pot with grandkids names.
Check out our other gift guides: